Sunday, January 18, 2015

Dear Diary, I Googled Myself Today

January 18

Dear Diary,


I Googled myself today for a college assignment about E-dentity. We're supposed to do some research and talk about the results of our online expedition. We have to define some aspect of our e-dentity, explain with evidence, assess what we find, what we like or don't like about our e-dentity, and what we learn about ourselves in the process when we think critically about it. So, I put my best efforts into the search and here's what I've found.





I'm social, but strangely kept private. When searching my name on Google you can find some information, like my Google plus account and Facebook posts I've been tagged in, but it seems like something is missing. In essence it's similar to Super Sad True Love Story. Everything about a person's life is shown on their äppärät, but when people talk to each other face to face or "verbal," people are not so open about themselves or their lives. The information you find about me tells you some of my inside thoughts I'm willing to share with the world. It gives you an idea of my sense of humor, which I've realized, is only funny to me. It shows you I'm involved in music but it doesn't tell you to what extent. In a way, I'm kind of ambiguous. I'm that outline of a figure that hasn't been shaded in yet to people who look me up online. Really, I'm just someone you don't know, and someone you can't get to know by just looking at on the internet. 


One of the Vines I reposted via Vine


( To look at the rest of Audial Sunshine and Vocal Jazz's videos from last year you can go to my channel! )

My ambiguity and lack of entertaining pictures or information was quite surprising to me. I thought I was going to be much more interesting than I was! However, I realized that I do have a lot of my primary social media restricted from public viewing. My Facebook is a place where people can get quite a lot of information about me from, but it doesn't even come up in a search on Google because I have it secured. Someone would only be able to find it if they dug deep into the "Audial Sunshine" Facebook page that I'm tagged in. But, once they get there, they'll be stuck outside my precious Facebook, staring at two pictures of my friends and me, documenting how much I enjoy living my real life, with my REAL identity, outside of the internet. I am a person who is unbelievably willing to share my inner thoughts and quirks about me to people who know me or who are willing to speak to me, but to strangers on the internet, not so much. 




In searching myself on Google someone could definitely be under the impression that I'm very concerned with the aesthetic parts of life; I care a lot about how I look to the outside world, but I seem like a very free person at the same time. If you look at my Pinterest, all of my pins have to do with appearance, except for maybe the food one. As a result, someone could assume that I'm a very self conscious person, I'd even say you could be right with that assumption; however, if you look at my Twitter or my Youtube you can see that I'm a pretty free, happy person as well. All of my Youtube videos are from the a Capella singing groups I've been in, and my tweets and retweets consist of a lot of song lyrics, pictures, random things that come to my mind, and photos of dogs. I adore dogs. 






While I think that my e-dentity only scratches the surface of who I really am, I like that I seem to be a very social person. I appear to have a lot of friends that I spend time with and that I have a lot to do with music. I don't have any incriminating photos or information that's public, but I do think if you analyze my social media a bit, you can begin to understand who I am a bit better. I may tweet something seemingly unimportant like the tweet below, 



but did you ever ask yourself why someone likes dogs as much as they do? or why they would tweet something about majoring in chocolate? It could be that they don't like feeling alone, and dogs are the epitome of comfort and friendship. It could be because that person is having a crisis about what they can major in and do with their life. When you dig a little deeper into those "random" posts, they aren't so random, are they?

3 comments:

  1. Claire
    I really like how you brought up the idea between private versus public information. It's really interesting to think about what the line is between what should be public info and what should be kept private. Many people like you have a sense of privacy and keep things secure online, while other people put everything out for all people to see. I really enjoyed reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dear diary is an interesting form of start for this. There is a sense of purpose to it considering the contents of your post. In essence it can change something into a complete personal breakdown of a subject if you let it do such. There's a kind of faceted nature with using your actual profiles as well. What is public, what is private, what do either mean anymore.
    I don't know if your purpose was to reflect super sad true love story in any way with this, but it is interesting that the diary pages as we saw them in the novel would have been posted in much a similar way as this. There was in essence, no writing on paper for even Lenny. Consider then the audience, that we are capable of transforming the private into the public for our own uses. As the walls, the barriers, our filters break down, everything becomes a bit more grey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW you have a lot out there. You went above and beyond. I love the last paragraph because often times I refuse to go deeper because that's the type of person I am. Thank you for actually making me give a shit about this assignment and take it seriously. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete